City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Place within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Coordinates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Location City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 feet (92 m) Population City65,239 Quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (United States: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer Season (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, US 15, US 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Site Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has long been a crucial crossroads, situated at the intersection of a major northsouth Indian trail and eastwest paths to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what became Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area, which is part of a higher Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area.
Frederick is home to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates general air travel, and to the county's biggest employer U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research installation. Located where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) satisfies the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick location ended up being a crossroads even before European explorers and traders showed up.
This became called the Monocacy Trail or even the Great Indian Warpath, with some tourists continuing southward through the "Great Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Established before 1730, when the Indian trail ended up being a wagon road, Monocacy was deserted before the American Revolutionary War, perhaps due to the river's periodic flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or merely Frederick's better location with simpler access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
Three years previously, All Saints Church had actually been established on a hilltop near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree as to which Frederick the town was named for, however the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, sixth Baron Baltimore (among the proprietors of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county initially encompassed the Appalachian mountains (areas additional west being disputed between the nests of Virginia and Pennsylvania until 1789). The current town's very first house was developed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate called Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his partner, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland nest.
Schley's inhabitants likewise established a German Reformed Church (today referred to as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Most likely the earliest house still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, constructed in 1756 by German settler Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was among the many Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (along with Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who moved south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another important route continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other continued west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Pronouncement of 1763 restricted that westward migration path until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Gap near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German settlers in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what became a large complex a few blocks further down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury got here two years later, both assisting to discovered a congregation which became Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log structure from 1792 (although superseded by larger structures in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was assigned in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To control this crossroads throughout the American Transformation, the British garrisoned a German Hessian program in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, set up 1813, Principal Parish Church up until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not only was an important market town, however likewise the seat of justice.
Crucial legal representatives who practiced in Frederick consisted of John Hanson, Francis Scott Key and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was also known throughout the 19th century for its spiritual pluralism, with among its main roads, Church Street, hosting about a half lots major churches.
That original colonial building was replaced in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the principal worship area has actually become an even bigger brick gothic church joining it at the back and dealing with Frederick's Town hall (so the parish remains the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was developed in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (throughout the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands together with a school and convent developed by the Visitation Sis. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and enlarged in 1825, then changed by the current twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American congregation in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and built its existing building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches controlled the town, set versus the background of the first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later immortalized this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (ultimately developed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" ran through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later on ended up being U.S. Path 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (receiving a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a diary from 1819-1878 which remains a crucial first-hand account of 19th century life from its viewpoint on the National Road.
Church Street by a local medical professional to prevent the city from extending Record Street south through his land to fulfill West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise became one of the new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Revolution, Catoctin Furnace near Thurmont became important for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued transporting freight until 1924. Also in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railway (B&O) completed its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the main Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate soldiers marching south on North Market Street throughout the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession question. President Lincoln detained several members, and the assembly was not able to assemble a quorum to vote on secession.
Slaves likewise gotten away from or through Frederick (because Maryland was still a "servant state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work versus the Confederacy and look for liberty. Throughout the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted numerous health centers to nurse the injured from those fights, as belongs in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's men through the city a few days in the future the method to the Fight of South Mountain, where Reno passed away. The sites of the battles are due west of the city along the National Roadway, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully attempted to stop the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial honoring Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monument Roadway west of Middletown, just listed below the summit of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to slain Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina troops who held the line.
George McClellan after the Fight of South Mountain and the Fight of Antietam, delivered a short speech at what was then the B. & O. Railway depot at the current intersection of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque commemorates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Company, a Social Providers workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Possibility Hall property for the several days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A large granite rectangle-shaped monument made from one of the boulders at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway honors the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from people for not taking down the city on their way to Washington D.C. Union troops under Major General Lew Wallace battled an effective delaying action, in what became the last significant Confederate advance at the Fight of Monocacy, also referred to as the "Battle that saved Washington." The Monocacy National Battlefield lies simply southeast of the city limits, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where 2 bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the site of the main fight of July 1864. Some skirmishing happened further northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and a weapons barrage happened along the National Road west of town near Red Man's Hill and Possibility Hall estate as the Union troops pulled away eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battlefield of 1863 lies approximately 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The reconstructed home of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, simply past Carroll Creek direct park. Fritchie, a significant figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on an automobile trip to the governmental retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the estate house of his dad. He became a crucial marine leader of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore together with Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's son, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was important in establishing the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley worked as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained among the town's leading households into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a prominent banker, and his other half Mary Margaret Schley helped arrange and raise funds for the annual Excellent Frederick Fair, among the 2 largest agricultural fairs in the State.